On February 5, 2021, a hacker penetrated the Oldsmar, Florida Water Department’s SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) System. This hacker attempted to increase the amount of lye to life- threatening levels. Fortunately, an Oldsmar Engineer was sitting at the control console and saw the levels change and averted a disaster.
SCADA systems are vital to remotely control water department assets, and these systems save utilities tens of thousands of manhours. However, it is imperative that SCADA is designed properly to keep access and control safely guarded. Scadata Holdings was founded in 2003 and is the choice for Operators across the country because:
- We provide private encrypted radio networks to carry information between the plants and remote assets.
- All remote sites talk to a master radio and/or repeater that sends signals to a main computer dedicated to our system.
- No public internet is used unless the utility demands it.
- No cellular towers are used to receive and transmit system information.
- In 90% of our installations, no 3rd parties are involved.
For more information on what a Scadata system can do for your operation, please visit www.scadata.net